Sunday, April 12, 2009

Do you like immigration officers?

Cause I certainly don't.

I'm off to Togo next Wednesday. Not for tourism reasons but to try and get an extension of my visa. I've been here 6 months in Ghana but Immigration at Kumasi are no longer giving the three 2 month extensions which they used to. Something got to do with too many fraudulent applications coming in. They want to tighten ship. Funny thing is, off the record, one corrupt immigration official informed me that if only I had not gone down the official route from the outset I would be getting the additional extension without any fuss.

I won't mince my words here. I really hate the vast majority of immigration officers and their abuse of power. I have found them lazy, incompetent luddites, whether it is in Ireland, the U.S., England, France, Poland, Germany, Lebanon, Syria, Serbia, Israel, etc. They seem cloned with a multitude of asshole genes. But they hold sway when it comes to travellers and their desire to get from A to B and back. So I will be a nice boy when I go travelling next week. I will have all my documents in order so there are no reasons for them to ask for a 'dash' (present, bribe).

Such is life when you give humans a uniform and permit them to act like idiots with a baton and a gun close at hand. If you are a nice immigration officer and have stumbled across this while you are bored at your job then I'd like to meet you, cause you are as a rare a breed as the dodo!

No comments: