Monday, December 1, 2008

Fire, Hell and Brimstone: Ghana style

Do you like quizzes?

If yes, then try to guess who said the following:

"The United Nations have not brought peace to any country........... Only Jesus Christ can bring peace to Ghana............ Nevermind what these soldiers and their AK47s can do. God's AK47 can wipe out whole nations: landslides, fire, water"

I don't expect you to know his name. Not even I know that. But you get first prize if you thought a Pentecostal preacher could be one of the few to utter such bizarre words. Attending a ceremony out of interest and invitation recently the sermon kept me alert despite my evening drowsiness. Nothing like a bit of brimstone to put fire in your belly!

Religion plays an interesting role in Ghana. Christian signs are everywhere: on buses, food shops, hair salons. But by far the best I have heard about was the restauraunt called "Let's crap for Jesus". It doesn't get much more ironic than that.

No comments: