Monday, September 29, 2008

Volunteering in Ghana - organising update

Hopefully by tomorrow at noon I will have my travel arrangements secured. I emailed Travelhouse UK agents on Saturday morning as they organise Ghanaian International Airline flights. Unfortunately, one cannot get access to their return flights beyond March 2009 from their website so if you are going to Ghana drop an email to Travelhouse or GIA themselves. The former's agent's got in touch with me within a half hour and found a flight leaving Oct. 16th from London Gatwick-Accra returning August 15th and valid for 1 year - price: £617, €777, or 2079 Polish zloty. I've put in the Polish zloty price as that is the currency I have been earning over the past few years.

I just need to reserve it tomorrow morning and then I can tick that box on my list of things to do.

Regarding medical insurance, I thought I would head into USIT in Dublin citv centre today to see if could get a hold of one of their under-30 cards and a basic medical insurance quote. Unfortunately, they have 2 policies which are both costly. The cheaper Silver policy costs €330 and though it covers 10 months, I am uneasy about spending such money for insurance. If one breaks it down it's probably not much more than €1 a day for the period I will be away, but with vaccines on top of that I'm watching the bank balance.

I have booked in to my home health clinic in Banagher this Friday to get yellow fever and typhoid jabs as well as a prescription for anti-malaria tablets.

I also have to get my 3 month holiday visa soon and should ring tomorrow to find out if I can volunteer with this or whether it is essential I have a business visa. I've heard differing stories so need to get on top of it tomorrow morning.

Dorota has arrived safe and sound in Germany and has started integrating with Inter-cultural youth exchange volunteers. Her partner at Edwenase Rehabilitation centre is Italian. They leave for Ghana on Thursday from Berlin with KLM.

I studied Twi for a while today but really need to dedicate more hours to it from now. Maybe I should have a look for an online forum to see if I can find any Ghanaians willing to share their language skills......hmmm, time to publish this, browse elsewhere and then hit the sack.

1 comment:

Raúl said...

me gusta mucho tu blog lo visito a diario visita tu e mio y si t gusta deja un comentario y nos linkeamos los blogs